December 15, 2013

Nokian Hakka WXC 300 Studded Tire Review

Lame Duck
It's hard to review the worst-constructed tire I have ever seen in my life. No, really. How do you find superlatives that just don't sound whiny? How do you make people truly believe in the total crappiness of the product? How do you convince them to buy any studded tire but this particular tire? I really don't know.

But here's the problem. You see a foldable, lightweight studded tire with those pointy carbide spokes that costs a lot of money and you think "Holy Crap! This must be the ultimate studded tire!". Well kind of - the ultimate studded tire fail. I have never ever seen a tire that was constructed so poorly that it wobbled like that. Even installed with a tube.

I initially tried tubeless. HAH! Wobbled like a one-legged duck. Then I decided to use a tube. The duck was equally lame. This is the first tubed tire I ever soaped to try to even it out. That didn't work either. I'm still riding it as I spent the money. Lucky I only bought one for the back because looking at that wobble on the front wheel would have driven me crazy. At least on the back I don't have to look at it. And it will wear out faster - maybe I will leave it on for summer.

Traction - same as any knobby studded tire. But give it a pass unless you are desperate. Soul-crushing, what-am-I-going-to-do-I-can't-ride-my-bike-and-this-is-the-only-tire-within-3-days-of-here-and-I-need-a-bike-fix desperate. Kinda figures though. What do they know about studded ice and snow tires in Taiwan? The children in those factories need to learn to make better tires.

video
Note the rim is straight,
the tire not so much, @40 psi

No comments: